Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Meeting Of the Minds in Topeka

Last Wednesday was an unusual day for me. I am not accustomed to thinking of my self as a "Lady Who Lunches", so I was surprised when Chiquita Coggs called a few days earlier to ask me to go to Topeka with her to a reception for the new Co-Chair of the Republican National Committee, Jan Larimer.

I am extremely glad I went. Ms. Larimer was asking for suggestions to take back to Washington and I'm sure she got a few. I hope that many of us convinced her to take the message back to Washington, DC that our Party needs to get back to it's conservative roots.

I am also glad I have gotten to know more about Chiquita Coggs. She is a very impressive self-made woman who has run businesses, raised a family as a single Mom, is a student trying to better her already impressive qualifications, and she has started a Charter School. Talk about an uneven lifepath, but for reasons known only to God our paths have crossed.

It was a partly cloudy day and warm enough not to have to wear a coat. The Luncheon was at the beautiful Topeka Country Club. Warm paneling and crystal chandeliers greeted us as we entered the Lobby of the impressive Country Club. When we were seated in the Lobby where we were welcomed by the Kansas Republican Party Chair, Amanda Adkins. After Amanda introduced Jan Laimer, and she introduced herself to everyone and took a mini-poll about how web savvy we were. It looked as though many of those in attendance were on Facebook or Twitter. The web is where we need to have a huge investment of time and technology for the future.

Chiquita and I sat at a table near the podium with two other women. I sat next to Jana Goodman of Leavenworth County who is running for City Council. We all had spirited conversations over a huge Cesar salad and yummy Cheesecake. I also saw in the large group a few faces that were familiar. The Kansas State Insurance Commissioner, Sandy Praeger and The State Senate President, Steve Morris were in attendance.

We broke off into small groups and networked for the rest of the meeting. I spoke with Jan Larimer, to congratulate her. We talked about the importance of the involvement of individuals in the process so we could get good candidates elected nationwide and in the state of Kansas. We also spoke about the need for people not to be afraid to make even small donations to candidates nationwide.

I had made a $25.00 donation to Jim Tedisco's campaign in New York that morning because I thought it was an important race and I had read that the Democrats were pouring millions of dollars into Tedisco's opponents' campaign. I also spoke briefly with Helen Van Etten, the Kansas National Committeewoman.

Chiquita and I visited with Kenya Cox from Wichita who works for Todd Tiahrt, and Shannon Sims who works for Sam Brownback. I was glad that I had the opportunity to meet with this group of people. They are rebuilding the future of the Republican Party in the state of Kansas and nationally. I only hope I can fit in, in some small way.

No comments: